Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Overuse of RKC

My partner opened 1nt and after a super accept I pushed onto slam holding:
Jx
AQxxxx
Jx
Axx

1N:2D
3H:4C
4D:4N
5C:6H

4nt is the culprit here. I've shown mild slam interest and Club control now leave the rest to partner. As for my hand the Jx's are of dubious value, I simply dont have a hand suitable to
push on to slam. I can pass!

"I have often posted in these fora against the overuse of keycard, and this is another example of why I ride this hobbyhorse. If players learned more subtle ways of probing for slam, ways that involve trusting partner to work out what is going on, we'd reach more good slams and stay out of more bad ones. Bid 4♣ and then 4♥ and let partner decide whether, in context, his hand warrants another call. You and partner may get these wrong initially, but once you both learn to trust each other, your slam bidding will move to a higher level." (MikeH)

http://forums.bridgebase.com/index.php?showtopic=21628&hl=

If Mike doesnt write a book soon I'll put a one together of quotable quotes :-)

No comments: