Saturday, November 7, 2009

counting down...

to my first Regional! I'm so excited, unfortunately my family don't share my enthusiasm as I have been out playing a lot of bridge lately. Fortunately, after the regional it will all come to a sudden stop, we'll be into the Ski season, Peter will be at the San Diego NABC and the closest I'll get to the game is having my nose in "Watsons, Play of the Hand." Well, perhaps the occasional day time game :)

Wayne is here from NZ and will stay with us for the duration of the regional before heading off to San Diego for the nationals. This is exciting too! I will be playing 4sessions with him in the regional :) Lucky me, the only trouble is my nerves when I'm playing with "A" players, I play much better with "C" players, my mistakes don't bother me so much. The same happens when I'm playing with Peter - I hold onto my mistakes and let them distract me. I will just have to forget who it is I'm playing with and try to have fun.
This is a big deal for me, its like playing with Zia. Whoooop!

I also have 5 sessions with Peter so I will, hopefully, be playing some great bridge next week. Peter has been working tirelessly with me on my signaling, counting, planning, card play - everything that I have neglected. Its such an eye opener having a regular partner - signaling is something I never did other than `high`I like it, `low`I don't, now I dont know how I played without it.
I still can`t believe I have such great partner and mentor.

In the recent sectional I played with a lovely lady, Jacquie from Osoyoos, and people think New Zealand place names are difficult! We will play 4 sessions together and I'm looking forward to playing again, we had some good games and a lot of fun at the sectional.

That's all for now, if I survive the regional I will of course, post the highs and lows! I think I may have bitten off more than I can chew by scheduling 3 games a day for 4 days, I hope I have the stamina for it.

1 comment:

Aaron said...

Three sessions a day can take it out of you - I've only seriously played in two regionals, but I find that after the third day of 9 hours a day of bridge I start to have a lot of difficulty concentrating. So don't be surprised if you do better in the first few sessions.

Have fun.