Wednesday, December 9, 2009

2/1 Epiphany

Richard and I came 2nd in our section, 5th overall with 58% at the club the other day, nice game, more lessons for me;

1H (P) to you... Qxx,Jxxx,xx,Qxxx - your bid?

I passed , I should have bid 2H via 1nt, both Peter and Richard said they would have bid 2H, we have some work to do on these. I am used to playing “constructive raises” so;

1M:2M 7(8)-10 3 or 4 card support
1M:1N* 2x:2M weak 6-10 3(2) card support or 2-5 4 card support
1M:1N* 2x:3M 10-11 exactly 3 card support
1M:3M 10-11 4 card support

Once again, ‘everyone’ plays this differently, Im surprised it hasn’t come up before.

Update: apparently I need to add 'Bergen' raises! Another one to get wrong or forget, Im still working on lebensohl.

Anyway, I wrote back during my blogging at the regional about an epiphany I had regarding 2/1 auctions. I’m not sure it was an epiphany in the true sense of the word as Wayne pointed it out to me, but it has had a large impact on my bidding!

1S:1N 2H:3m
1M:1N 2D:3C


3m here is to play, its not an invitation, its not game forcing, its not even mildly tempting – 1N has limited partners hand and 3m says I have zero tolerance for your suits, lets play in my long suit. I think this is an old habit remaining from sayc where a new suit by responder at the 3level is 100% gf, that and, again, not thinking it through before I bid.

2nd team game tonight, the first wasnt great maybe we will do better tonight.

2 comments:

Len said...

1M:1N
2y:3z

means:

1H-1N, 2m-3S

Even if you've never discussed that, it has to be forcing (unless 1N showed spades).

Kathryn said...

Thanks Len, I have corrected the aution.