Saturday, October 17, 2009

Lebensohl and other disasters

You've never seen a convention abused so much until you've seen my lebensohl bids. I'm so happy to remember that we play leb, I bid 2N at any opportunity.
Yesterday playing at the club I had a dreadful, weak balanced hand , just 4 clubs and bid 2N, passing 3C. Peter didn't flinch at all, he must have nerves of steel to play with me.

I already know I dont think enough before I bid or play and with new conventions I expect a few disasters before I remember how I should be using it. I seem to learn best from bitter experiences, I hope I dont make that mistake next time.

Lebensohl is the most advanced convention I have played. At first glance it seems straightforward but when I mapped out all of the auctions it is a exact and complex system full of nuances. No doubt I will have many more disasters along the way.

Another disturbing habit I need to break is my tendency to ruff with the wrong suit!
When I am in game/slam and have a equally good or better second suit I am ruffing with second suit. Wake up!! Subconsciously thinking the second suit would have been better, getting one step ahead or just careless, I dont know. One thing I might try is sorting my hand to place trump to the left or right. Currently I just sort black/red as the cards appear. Same story, I need to focus on the current trick and take more time & care.

Peter said nothing until after the set, and even then just laughed. Partners take note; I know I've messed up and I'm sick about it. The best thing you can do is let it go and not contribute to my discomfort. We can talk later about how I can avoid the same mistake & about the other mistakes I didn't even know I had made.

I'm having more fun playing the hands - with no better play available I underled Kx to dummy AJxxx hoping declarer would go up with the ace, he did. :-)

Despite a few hiccups it was another nice game. Playing is becoming less agonising and much more enjoyable as I get more confident.

1 comment:

Paul Gipson said...

Lebensohl is one of the best examples of why you cannot simply agree to play a convention without discussing it fully.

Especially when you then extend it into other situations.