Saturday, June 2, 2007

Support Doubles

Support Doubles, devised by Eric Rodwell allows the opener to show exactly 3card support for responders (partners) new suit.
Up until now, I did not use support doubles and so I have developed the habit of often supporting partner with 3. In the auction 1C(P)1S(2D) 2S I may only have 3 spades.

Now, by adding support doubles I can double to show 3 card support, a simple raise will show exactly 4 cards, 3S weak, 3D a cue raise and so on.

1C (P) 1S (2D) X = exactly 3 card support
1C (P) 1S (2D) 2S =exactly 4 card support
1C (P) 1S (2D) 3S = spade support, weak, competitive
1C (P) 1S (2D) 3D = limit raise or better

2 comments:

Paul Gipson said...

Do you play support redoubles too?

1♣ (P) 1♠ (X) XX = exactly 3 card support.

Kathryn said...

To be honest I think I have used support doubles once. I'm not sure if they dont come up or I forget to use it when the opportunity arises.